This blog is to showcase steals, thrills, & mega deals in the shopping world. By this, I don't mean snatching up a Coach bag off E-bay for a couple hundred bones...I mean snatching up EVERYDAY needs (& sometimes wants) for pennies on the dollar...ie- children's socks for $1, cream of mushroom soup for 50 cents, Old Navy skirts for 99 cents...got it? Feel free to pass any of YOUR fab finds my way & I'll post them, giving credit to you of course. Happy Savings!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Frugal Challenge #....I have no idea. But this one requires some prep.....kitchen prep.

Okay, I hope you're reading this BEFORE you send your family out for the day.


Today we shall go BROWN BAG!




That's right, remember the good ol' days of pb&j? Well just for today, they're back! Yippee!

Here's the challenge:

Between you, your husband, your kids, anyone else you feed, you are allowed to purchase ONLY one meal today.

ie:
I will eat bkfst, lunch & dinner @ home with food in my house.
Avy will eat b, l, & d @ home with food in the house.

Tyler (husband) since he's working extremely late hours this week will eat breakfast at home, lunch from a brown bag containing food packed from home, and dinner that has been purchased from a restaurant at work.

Let's run some hypothetical numbers:

Tyler generally eats lunch out EVERYDAY at work.

$6 a day

$6 x 5 days a week = $30 a week

$30 x about 48 work weeks a year = $1440

WOW!!! That's a lot of money on LUNCH!

Granted, often his lunches are paid for by clients, but other times he ends up paying for co-workers, taking food back to the office....so on average, he probably spends $1440 a year on lunch. Yikes!

You can earn 6 points for this challenge, and if NOBODY in your house eats out today, you can earn 8 points! This is an easy one to catch up on if you're a bit behind!!!

Leave a little love note in the bag and you get 1 EXTRA point per love note.

Only packing 1 lunch? Leave 5 love notes. But the max on extra credit is 5 points.
So in total, you can earn 13 points today!!!


So stop reading and start prepping those brown bags for tomorrow.
Well, start prepping once you finish scanning the DSS deals of the day, of course.

13 comments:

Jennikunz said...

I love this Challenge! Colby actually BEGGED me to make him a home lunch today! wow this is perfect. Lynn also took a hot pocket from the freezer for his lunch and I don't ever leave my house, so my family is set... well except Dyson , see it's hotdog day at school today and he will DIE if he can't have one. You dont want him to die right? SO Lynn Colby and I are brown baggers... and Dyson is a hot luncher. How many ponts is that? I am math challenged.

Hayley said...

jen,
yay roysters! that'd be 6 points...unless you put love notes in the lunches, then that's an extra point per note. let me know your tally.

Lindsay said...

Dang it! Can we officially postpone this challenge until tomorrow? The drill in our family is that I cook enough dinner so that Pat can take the leftovers the next day for lunch. Today he denied my leftovers because he didn't want to get spaghetti on his clothes. I also offered him leftover chili but he also refused for obvious gastro-intestinal reasons. And this evening he has to go dinner for a recruiting event. And I actually have a lunch date with a friend today (second time eating lunch out on a weekday since I had Cooper...not bad for 8 months!). Anyway, I guess I'll have to forego today's points. :(

Rachelle said...

No one at my house is eating out today. We're eating all homemade sutffs! Didn't get any love notes into the lunches though so I guess that's 8 points for me!

Lindsey said...

so i am with lindsay. since ty left at 7am this morning i wasn't ready with the love notes :) however, he did take lunch from home. but he'll be eating dinner there since he'll be there until 1am!

maybe i'll just have to drop something homemade by with a few notes in it. ;)

Danielle said...

No one is eating out today! And I packed a lunch for my husband. He is a full time law student, so usually he just eats from the vending machines all day. I really should pack something for him everyday. I also included 5 love notes. Each one had a reason why I love him so much (but with humor, we can't get to lovey dovey, thats for Valentines!). For dinner he is just going to come home to eat.

And as for me and the little munchkin- we just eat from home everyday. We're kinda boring like that. If it was nice out though I would pack something for us to go to the park. She did get a love note though, since she kept trying to still her daddy's while I was making them.
Anyways enough with the novel, 13 points for me!

Ashley said...

6 points for me!

Jennikunz said...

sweet... one more point cause I put a love note in Colbys! 7..I am so darn cool.

Kristine Gray said...

Ok, myself and the twinners ate at home. Going out would of required I change out of my pjs. Louis ate out as always but I slipped a couple love notes in his bag. 8 points for me!

Still drinking tap water!

Kristina said...

Well, I think maybe we failed this one... we ate out for all meals/snacks today :)... but we used gift cards, which aren't really money, right?

Jenni said...

Done. Well, my dad is on a business trip in Texas, so I'm assuming he bought all his meals. But everybody else in the family ate out of the brown paper bag all day. That's good enough, right?

P.S. my word verification is "valisguf". Not a word verification anymore, just scrambled letters verification...

Lindsay said...

In a twist of events, my lunch on Thursday got canceled. So really Pat just ate out for lunch and then the firm paid for dinner? Not sure if that counts for anything, but thought I would check.

Lindsey said...

So, ironically I was working on cookies and notes to drop by ty's office for a couple extra points and ty ended up making us come in and chat with his coworkers and therefore did not have time to give my kids dinner before needing to be at enrichment! So we hit up taco bell.

So I got 3 bonus points, but none for the main challenge.