This blog is to showcase steals, thrills, & mega deals in the shopping world. By this, I don't mean snatching up a Coach bag off E-bay for a couple hundred bones...I mean snatching up EVERYDAY needs (& sometimes wants) for pennies on the dollar...ie- children's socks for $1, cream of mushroom soup for 50 cents, Old Navy skirts for 99 cents...got it? Feel free to pass any of YOUR fab finds my way & I'll post them, giving credit to you of course. Happy Savings!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wednesdays's Point Earner: Take Out the Papers & the Trash

Today we save money on our garbage.
That's right...save some cash on your trash.

How? Well here's your challenge:

Today we shall use NO trash bags. In their place, we will be using grocery sacks. I agree that sometimes garbage calls for the Hefty & what not, but if you're like me & you take your trash out MANY times a day, then you're throwing $ away with every visit to the dumpster.



NO MORE! STOP THAT BAD HABIT TODAY...RIGHT NOW!

10 points for those who refill their can with grocery sacks today.
And an EXTRA 5 for those who already use grocery sacks.



And you know what, I got very little sleep last night so I'm a bit grouchy, thus I have no patience for money wasters today.
If you use trash bags like these:


you lose 8 points for the day. I mean c'mon...buy yourself a cute shirt or some curtains in this pattern, but don't buy a garbage bag in toile print.

Have a good one :)

11 comments:

Ashley said...

Yay, I do this already! Points for me.

But, that is a very cute trash bag, and now you have me wondering if I NEED cute trash bags. . . .

Hayley said...

Ashley, Ashley, Ashley. You're a competent, reasonable, rational woman...I'll let you conclude this conundrum on your own.

:)

Lindsey said...

I, too use grocery bags except in my kitchen where I have a big trash that lasts me a good 4 days...does that count? If so, give me the points!

Hayley said...

LK...no use of ANY real garbage bags today. Even if it's a biggie that lasts a few days. I do realize that you will be emptying grocery sacks a lot more, but in the end, if you NEVER used garbage bags, even if they last 4 days, you would save a bundle over a year's period.

so tie a plastic safeway sack to your doorknob & use that today.
:)

Danielle said...

I usually use grocery bags in all the rooms except the kitchen. Today though I have put up a grocery sack on the silverware drawer in our kitchen to put trash in.

Lindsay said...

I'm with Lindsey K. in that we only have a Hefty bag (Costco brand, though...of course) in the kitchen which lasts us the whole week, but I will use a plastic bag for today. And we already use target bags in the babe's room (they fit the garbage can perfectly!) and no garbage bags in any other rooms. I guess we just don't have a ton of trash. Or maybe that's why my house is always cluttered?

Kristine Gray said...

Ok, switched to a grocery bag in the kitchen today (already use plastic grocery bags in the bedroom wastebaskets). I think though I will have to find other ways to save $. If I need to throw away something wet then I have to take the bag the 4 floors down to the trash can. Too hard right now to do that more than once a day with the twinners left upstairs.

Lindsay said...

I kept goofing and throwing stuff in our kitchen garbage...but I'll take my 5 points for already using grocery bags in our other rooms.

Jenni said...

cloth grocery bags already used! 15 points@

Lindsay said...

Hi Jenni -

I saw that you use cloth grocery bags...just curious what these are and what you do with liquids and produce that you throw away? Do you wash and reuse them? Just curious.

Thanks!

Jennikunz said...

OH MY GRANDMA GRIFFIN! I have tried to get her to use REAL garbabge bags for YEars! She is the queen of cheap... i mean frugleness...