This blog is to showcase steals, thrills, & mega deals in the shopping world. By this, I don't mean snatching up a Coach bag off E-bay for a couple hundred bones...I mean snatching up EVERYDAY needs (& sometimes wants) for pennies on the dollar...ie- children's socks for $1, cream of mushroom soup for 50 cents, Old Navy skirts for 99 cents...got it? Feel free to pass any of YOUR fab finds my way & I'll post them, giving credit to you of course. Happy Savings!

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gamers: Now that you have all that extra change in your pocket going jing-a-ling-a-ling....

......let's see how much MORE you can save!


Here's your challenge for Monday, Feb 23 -again a multi-parter-

1- think of something you WANT really, REALLY, rEaLlY BAD (purse, shoes, furniture, car, gourmet chocolates?)
3 PTS

2- find the msrp (manufacturers suggested retail price) of that product
5 PTS


3- find that baby on-line or in a store for LESS than the retail price
(keep in mind we're not buying these things, we're just doing a little learning exercise, so feel free to dream big today)
1 PT for every percent cheaper you find it for


Horrible wording, I know, so let me explain:

1- I want some horse-riding style boots - (3 pts)
2- they're usually $310 - (5 pts)
3- found them on DSW.COM for $179.94
That's savings of 41.9% (so 41.9 PTS)

so my total for the challenge would be: 41.9+5+3= 49.9 pts


Here's the calculation to find the percentage:
old price ($310) minus new price ($179.94) = your difference ($130.06)
your difference ($130.06) divided by old price ($310) = percentage of savings (.419 = 41.9%)


So the point of this challenge is not only to learn some fun cool mathematics equations, but mostly to realize we don't always have to deprive ourselves of things we want.
But we DON'T HAVE TO PAY FULL PRICE FOR THEM EITHER!!!
There are almost, close to always, ways to find things for less than what's being asked.


So go on & get shopping......er, imaginary shopping!


6 comments:

Danielle said...

I have been wanting a cricut FOREVER! After spending sometime last summer trying to find a good deal on one and more importantly one within my budget I gave up looking. So today I thought I would look online to try and find a good deal on the cricut (not the new expression one, just the older version). Anyway, amazon has the wholesale for 249.00 and the cheapest for new on Amazon was 149.00. But this afternoon I found a whole bunch on ebay from a Salt Lake Scrapbooking company for brand new (and free shipping) and it blew my mind how cheap they are! I watched til the auctions ended to make sure of what average price they were going for...all under $100! I called my husband to see about getting one, and he said I could if I wanted. Argh! I couldn't bring myself to get one. We just don't have the money now. But at least I know that they are going for much cheaper than they were last year when I was looking. I know what I want for Mothers day now!

So after this long novel, I did the math and it came to 59.9 percent. So points come to 67.9

Kristine Gray said...

There's a really nice wooden play yard I want to get to corral the twinners. The suggested price is $249.95. I found it online for $119.95. That's a 52% difference!
60 points!

SISSY said...

Hey,
So.. I completed the last challenge too but forgot to email you. We spent 22 dollars over the weekend, and we keep a change jar, everyday Jase puts change in. There was $11.50 in change.
Also, yesterday, I have been wanting a jogging sroller, it has been sitting in my shopping cart on Amazon. I researched and researched and found the one I wanted for a good price. One step sells them for $219.95, I found it for $155.00 from Amazon. $64.95 in savings. By the way, I bought it :) Yah!!!!

Lindsay said...

I found these shoes that I've been wanting to get...I already own them but have worn them well past their prime. I love them so much and know I would them all the time. I found them for 43% off! I think I might get them, but I may hold out for a better deal.

Jenni said...

I want a certain cartridge for my Cricut (wow, great minds think alike, Danielle!). It's apparently worth $90, and I found it on eBay for 99 cents (Thanks to seller WebsBestDeals). Booyah! That's 98% off!!

3 pts + 5 pts + 98 pts = 106 points!!!

Lindsey said...

so i want a britax car seat marathon, usually 289.99. after much searching i found it for 180.

I believe that is 62%...sweet. i should have bought it.

so...70 points :)