This blog is to showcase steals, thrills, & mega deals in the shopping world. By this, I don't mean snatching up a Coach bag off E-bay for a couple hundred bones...I mean snatching up EVERYDAY needs (& sometimes wants) for pennies on the dollar...ie- children's socks for $1, cream of mushroom soup for 50 cents, Old Navy skirts for 99 cents...got it? Feel free to pass any of YOUR fab finds my way & I'll post them, giving credit to you of course. Happy Savings!

Monday, February 16, 2009

So you ditched the mascara, now what? How about salvaging some shower H2O?

That's right, today we are shortening our showers.

I promise I'm not trying to make us all smelly, all-naturale, granola ladies...
We're just learning different, simple ways to save a buck or 2, right?


Are you aware that the average shower is 8 minutes in length?
If you reduce that to 5 minutes, you can reduce the amount of water you use by nearly one-third. That'd be saving around 10 gallons of water per day!!!

So here's the deal:
3 points for every minute shortened.


ie-
I usually shower about 9 minutes.
If I do a speedy wash, then I can be out in 5.
That's shortening my hot water usage by 4 minutes.
Therefore, I would score 12 points for this challenging challenge.
Get it?

Good luck!

And by the way, nice job on foregoing a beauty product! I'm seriously impressed.


10 comments:

Danielle said...

This is a good one for me! I've been meaning to work on cutting back my shower time.
I use to take really quick showers, like 5 minutes or less. But lately I've been taking way too long and extra hot showers. I think because it's my chance to take a break from the munchkin. Anyways, no time for a shower this morning (I'm such a granola!) but I'll take one tonight- I might even just set a timer and see how fast I can actually take one!

Lindsay said...

There's nothing I like more on a cold, rainy morning than to take a nice, long, hot shower. But today I resisted and took a two minute shower. I wasn't sure exactly how long my normal showers are, but I guessed 10 minutes and when I asked Pat he also said about 10 minutes, so I think that means I cut down 8 whole minutes! Yippee!

Hayley said...

danielle & lindsay y,
i agree with you both whole-heartedly. showers are my 1 moment of peace where it's just me (unless i throw avy in with me). and today, of all days, when it's been raining non-stop...it's a tough one to take a short shower.

Lindsey said...

I decided not to wash my hair today and therefore did a quick body wash in 1 minute! I usually take about an 8 minute shower (weird that i know that, but I like to pay attention to that). So I cut off 7 minutes.

that would be 21 points for me!

Rachelle said...

This was a great challenge for me. No joke, my showers are on average around 30 minutes long. It's my time for me. It's my time to think about the day, the week, what needs to be done. I shave my legs... it's wonderful to have some quiet time for me. But, my shower today was 17 minutes. I know, it should have been shorter. My husband is used to me taking long showers, he takes long ones too. We're wasteful. But, I did the challenge!

Danielle said...

Okay, I found time to exercise early and so I went ahead and showered instead of waiting til tonight. I timed myself and we actually made a race of it. My shower was 1 minutes and 14 seconds. My husband totally lost, his shower took 2 minutes and 20 seconds. Such an Amateur!
Anyway, I would think that my showers have been around 15 minutes lately because it's winter time. So I saved about 14 minutes. Mind you I'm not doing 1 minute showers ever again but I do need to cut my normal shower times down, probably by half.

Kristine Gray said...

I use to take really short showers since I was always running late in the morning. Now they are like 10 mins because it's my solitude time. Today I watched the clock and was able to get out in 5 mins.

Jenni said...

I too, take long showers. Usually 25 minutes. But I gave up the "repeat" in lather-rinse-repeat and shaved a little less carefully. And I spent less time just feeling the warm water drip down my back. So today's only took 7 minutes! I saved 18 minutes (is there an upper limit for points??)

Kristina said...

I am a short shower person... usually 3-4 minutes on a typical day... so I cut off about 2 minutes today- couldn't get much shorter... it was my break all by myself, so I had to enjoy it a little :)

SISSY said...

I am also a short shower person, too afraid of what goes on with the kiddies while I am showering so I am usually pretty quick. I usually shower about 5 min, so I cut out 3 min, that was a quick 2 min shower!