This blog is to showcase steals, thrills, & mega deals in the shopping world. By this, I don't mean snatching up a Coach bag off E-bay for a couple hundred bones...I mean snatching up EVERYDAY needs (& sometimes wants) for pennies on the dollar...ie- children's socks for $1, cream of mushroom soup for 50 cents, Old Navy skirts for 99 cents...got it? Feel free to pass any of YOUR fab finds my way & I'll post them, giving credit to you of course. Happy Savings!

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Feb 8th Frugal Challenge....Save some calories, save some money.....save the world.

Okay, the 'save the world' bit is a little extreme.

But first thing first:
Did you survive the Weekend Bonus Challenge?


Let me tell you, it was TOUGH AS NAILS for me!

FACT:
-I gave up paper towels on Friday evening at 5pm.
FACT:
-My sicky baby puked Friday night.
FACT:
-I did not use a single paper towel to clean it.
FACT:
-I threw a Valentine's Day party Saturday night.
QUESTION:
-Have you ever spent hours baking, cooking, & cleaning with NO PAPER TOWELS?
FACT:
-It's a doozie.
WHAT MATTERS:
-I completed the challenge with flying colors.
LAST FACT:
-I won't be giving up paper towels altogether, but I did realize I use WAY more than necessary. I will be reaching for the dish-towel more often from now on. Go me.

Ah-hem----and now to Monday's Challenge:
SAVE SOME CALORIES, SAVE SOME MONEY...SAVE THE WORLD.

Our grocery bills are sometimes outrageous, right? Do we REALLY need all that food? Possibly. Could we MAYBE make it last a bit longer? Highly Likely.

So here's your Monday challenge:
Put down the kcals after dinner. No midnight snack. No late evening ice-cream. No middle of the night munchie attack.

Save the food for the am.

Here's why:
At least for me, I know I love to eat as I unwind before bed. Yucky! I feel gross the next morning, and I am consuming unnecessary money.


I generally like to snack on cereal. Let's say I buy that box of cereal for $2.50. I know you're thinking that's cheap cereal, but let's not forget we are Savvy Shoppers around here and all those boxes on my shelf likely average out to $2.50. So we'll play with that number.


Example:
I like Raisin Bran at night.


$2.50 divided by 10 servings = 25 cents a serving.
25 cents each night = about $7.50 a month.
$7.50 a month = $90 a year.

$90 isn't HUGE savings over time, but it is TOTALLY on something I don't need, and TOTALLY money I can spend on something else. Get it?

So back to your challenge.
*What do you usually snack on after dinner?
* How much could you save over the year if you stopped after-dinner snacking?
Answer those questions, don't snack after dinner Monday night, & you're well on your way...
to
2 POINTS!

12 comments:

Kristina said...

This one is going to be tough since we're driving all day tomorrow and will be on vacation... the time when I eat the most junk!! I usually snack on ice cream, brownies, or Hershey's holiday candies at night... I'm sure I could save a lot and lose some on my extra lbs if I stopped that habit :)

Lindsay said...

This is a great challenge! Mostly because I am a mega nighttime snacker. Last night, after eating popcorn post dinner, I made a taco and then had ice cream! Yikes...that is like night snacking x 2! Dinner, snack, 2nd dinner, 2nd snack. Bad, bad, bad!

Lindsey said...

First things first, the weekend challenge...
I would like to say I was success, but I must let you be the judge. Saturday afternoon the family headed out for Costco. I specifically ate a yummy sandwich before I went to avoid temptation. Well, by the end of our hour and a half trip through costco my kids were all in dyer need of food (including hubby). So Tyler insisted THEY get something on the way out. However, since had to stand in line to pay for all his work stuff, I had to go purchase THEIR food. I stayed strong and purchased nothing for myself.

So what do you think? Does this count? Although, I must confess as I was nursing Bennett I took a small sip of Christian drink. If so, give me credit for full b/c we did forego our weekend pizza :)

Now, for this challenge...seriously, on Bachelor night nonetheless! I think that this challenge might be directed right at me. AAHHH- my ice cream. That's okay, I will prevail! Here are the numbers:

$2.98 per 1/2 gallon
2.98/4 (yes we eat a 1/2 gal in 4 servings :))= .75
So I am saving 75 cents a night, but if I stop Tyler will likely stop as well which means $1.50/night.
ME alone= $22.50/month and $270/year OUCH!
Ty and I both= $45/month and $540/year HUGE OUCH!!!!

Too bad I can't change this habit for good...at least yet! ;)

Sorry for the monster post.

SISSY said...

I love this challenge since I love having ice cream at night. Evil habit! So, I am up to the challenge :) By the way, I had a hard time with the weekend one. I decided to give up the computer all weekend, and I kept going over to it out of habit. But I didn't get on it all weekend, so I did survive without it. :)
Made me realize how much I could do without things that become a habit.

Jennikunz said...

I have no snacks in the house... this is an esy one.. give me my 2 points!

Danielle said...

This is a good challenge for us, especially the hubby. He likes to pop a bag of popcorn at night (usually about 3 times a week) and sometimes I cave in and have some. But otherwise I'm not much of a night time snacker. Tonight though, I told him no snacking! So far, so good.
Usually I stock up when I can get popcorn on sale for around a dollar/3 pack box so I figured thats about $5 a month, so about $60 a year.
Thanks for the challenge!
yellyjohnsen@yahoo.com

btw, my word verification is hoter, as in hoter for not cramming down those buttery calories tonight. (even though, I'm pretty sure there should be another t in hoter...)

Jenni said...

Oh my goodness this is going to be tough. I really don't eat meals; I have little stuff constantly.

But usually after "dinner" I have a bowl of cereal, a bowl of ice cream, and popcorn or chips. Not tonight!

Rachelle said...

This one was hard, but I did it!!! Instead of vegging in front of the TV and pigging out on junk food, I worked out for a whole hour!!! So, now I'm off to bed and didn't eat a single thing after dinner! I'm going to try to keep this one going the whole week!

(The night before I had eaten 2 ice cream drumsticks, about 6 laughy taffy and a handful of tootsie rolls. That's a typical evening for me, so thanks for the challenge! I have no idea how many calories I did NOT consume tonight!)

Hayley said...

well it's good to hear i'm not the only late-night ice-cream lover.

maybe we should turn this blog into an ice-cream anonymous help group instead?

Lindsay said...

Soooo...I failed this challenge. Miserably! When I found out Pat was not going to be home for dinner I ended up eating earlier than normal. Which means I had to go treatless from about 6pm to 11pm. Impossible! I couldn't do it. I was so hungry by about 8:30 I couldn't resist the brownies my VTs brought. Ugh!

Lindsey said...

i feel sheepish...

i was having too bad a day to deprive myself of my ice cream. my night turned out much better after that though :)

i'm sure i'll curb the habit someday...

Kristina said...

I failed this one... we went to Cheesecake Factory once we arrived in Newport... but we did get a $10 gift card for filling out a customer survey afterwards AND two coupons for free cheesecake (the place was empty and they are getting desperate it seems)... so that kinda negated the purchase of the appetizers/dessert we bought, right? :)